Recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and your state boating license agency.
Here's how to get started:
Click below to view a short video on using our online course
Create an account and enroll yourself in a Boating Safety Course from the Course Catalog
Study and pass the FREE Boating Safety Course.
Print out your certificate of completion yourself for free
Get Started Today! Start Now →
Any person born on or after January 1, 1988 must successfully complete a NASBLA approved boating education course before operating any vessel propelled by a motor of 10 HP or greater.
North Carolina has the following restrictions for the operators of personal watercraft:
- No person under 14 years of age may operate a PWC.
- A person at least 14 years of age but younger than 16 years of age may operate a PWC in public waters if they are accompanied by a person at least 18 years of age who is in compliance with the state's boating education requirements, or the person possesses ID with proof of age and boating safety certification or card indicating the satisfactory completion of a NASBLA boating safety education course.
- A person 16 years of age or older must comply with the mandatory boater education requirements for all vessels of 10 HP or greater before operating a PWC.
- The owner of a PWC must not knowingly allow a child under the age of 16 operate their craft except as provided above.
Those who possess a U.S. Coast Guard operator's license, temporary operator's certificate, renter's or lease agreement, or are a resident of another state or country operating on the waters of North Carolina for less than 90 days are exempt from the education requirement.
How Do I Get My North Carolina Certificate?
1. After you complete the course you will be issued a printable copy of your certificate that you can print yourself and use immediately.
2. You will also have the option of ordering a North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission approved, waterproof plastic card for $13. Please allow 2-3 weeks for your card to arrive.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some common questions asked about our FREE boating safety course.
- How much does the course cost?
The BoatU.S. Foundation is a free NASBLA approved course. When you finish, you can print your certificate on your own printer or order a printed paper certificate($8) or plastic card($13) for a fee. Some states will charge additional fees to issue you a permanent state ID verifying completion of a boating safety course. Be sure to read your state's Mandatory Eduation Requirements for more information.
- How do I print my certificate?
Instructions for Users With a Printer:
- Once you have completed all included lessons for a course you will be awarded a certificate of completion (if applicable) which you can print yourself from your My Account screen. It will appear on the left under the calendar as shown in the image (Figure A) above.
- Click on your state name to bring up your printing options (Figure B). To print a paper copy of your certificate click "Print Certificate".
- After you choose "Print Certificate", a separate window will pop-up and you may briefly see the certificate before it moves off screen and your print dialog appears. Then select your printer from the list and click OK. Do not assume that your certificate won't print just because you can't see it.
- How long is my certificate valid?
Your boating safety certificate will never expire. It is valid for life.
- I took the course a while ago, how do I re-print my certificate?
If you took the course prior to August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
- Click on the course you originally took below. (If you cannot remember which course you took please call us at 800-245-2628)
- Enter you email address and first name (make sure you enter the email you used when you registered with the course originally).
- Click Get Previous Certificate and follow the prompts
If you took the course after August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
To view the complete list of questions visit:
Need Help? Contact us!
Most Questions Can Be Answered Through Our FAQs Page.
Call or Email the BoatUS Foundation about our boating safety course or about course questions.
Feel free to call or email if you ever need help while you are taking the course.
Send an email to SmartBoating@BoatUS.com
Or call us Toll Free at 1-800-245-2628
Mon - Fri: 9AM - 5PM Eastern Time
Complete the Course at Your Own Pace
Choose when and where to take your course. Take it on a desktop or laptop.
Special Information for Phones, iPads and Other Tablet Users: Our course is optimzed for laptops and desktops. It is not optimized to work on mobile devices and tablets. You may experience techincal errors. You must turn off your pop-up blocker in your settings menu in order to view any of the courses. Please also make sure to turn your device to landscape mode if buttons or text is missing.Get Started Now →
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan
New Specialized CoursesFull Course List →
How to Use GPS
Are you new to electronics on your boat or uncomfortable with the operation of the electronics that you have? We can help!
Get Started Now!
Modern Marine Navigation
Learn the basics of plotting, reading charts, identifying ATONs and using them to find your way on the water.
Get Started Now!