Life Jacket Loaner Program Application Guidelines
Thanks for your interest in becoming a BoatUS Foundation Life Jacket Loaner site! Applications are now available. The deadline to apply is March 1st, 2015. Please review the program guidelines below before completing your application. To stay up to date with the program, follow us on Facebook.
How the Program Works
Each group will receive a kit containing 12 life jackets and a publicity kit. Here's how the program works:
- At your waterfront marina, boat ramp, store, or restaurant, families can borrow a life jacket for the day or weekend through your Life Jacket Loaner site.
- The borrowing family will provide your staff with basic information to borrow life jacket: name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and anticipated return date (we’ll provide the form). There is no charge for the use of life jackets.
- A staff member or volunteer will log their information and distribute the appropriate–sized life jacket.
- The borrowing family returns the jacket. In the event they forget where to return it, the jacket has an attached return tag. If the jacket is not returned, the sign out sheet contains the information to contact the borrow to get the life jacket back.
How to Apply
Applications are now available. Please see the link at the bottom of this page to apply.
- Only Applications submitted through the online form will be considered for the program.
- All applicants must agree to the Term and Conditions of the Program listed on the Application.
- The best applications will be chosen to be part of the Life Jacket Loaner Program and notified in Spring 2015
While the Foundation encourages all groups to apply for this program, groups that limit the usage to an exclusive membership or club, or that profit from the use of the life jackets, or are otherwise required to provide life jackets are not eligible for participation. The Foundation is looking for loaner sites that have regular hours for borrowers to pick up and drop of the life jackets. The life jackets must be available to the general boating public at staffed locations that can log out the life jackets and securely store the life jackets when they are not in use. This program is not intended for the funding of loaner boards or stocking patrol boats. The Foundation commits to maintain each loaner site for as long as the site would like to participate. We have found the lost rate of life jackets on loaner boards is too high to maintain the sites year after year.
You Will Receive
All materials are provided to your organization free of charge:
- 12 jackets in Infant, Child, Youth and Adult sizes with return identification tags attached
- Weather-resistant storage bin
- Promotional signs and flyers
- A log book to record loan information
- Sample press kit to aid in local promotion
What You Will Provide
- A highly visible location with regular hours for loaning life jackets such as a marina, ship's store or fuel dock
- Personnel to distribute and collect life jackets and record loan information
- Local promotional efforts
- Feedback to BoatU.S. Foundation to help promote the site and the nationwide program on a quarterly basis such as survey responses, testimonials and stories or saves (video or pictures especially)
- Signed contract stating you agree to the terms of the program