In Case of a Spill
If you have spilled or discharged a petroleum product:
- Identify and stop the source of the leak.
- Notify the marina for assistance.
- Call the U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802.
- You must report the spill, while there can be fine for spills, the fines are even greater for failure to report or efforts to hide a spill.
- Contain spill with oil absorbent pads or booms.
- Properly dispose of used or saturated absorbents.
- Do not use soaps or detergents on a spill. Not only is it illegal, it makes the situation worse. While the oil seems to disappear the soap allows it disperse throughout the entire water column, making it harder to remove, contaminating sediment and impacting more organisms.
When reporting a spill, be prepared to give the following information:
- Location of the incident
- Cause or source of spill
- The type of fuel spilled
- The amount of fuel spilled
- Level of danger or threat
- Weather conditions at location